September 1, 2008

GearBob, a LEGO Mindstorm NXT orbital gearbox

Hi Everyone!

I've been willing to do an automatic LEGO-style Gearbox since a long time, but I never managed to do it because i could only think of a linear one ( like those in european cars), and it 's quite difficult to do a LEGO one. Then I learned that there was another type of gearboxes : the orbital one(like in the automatic cars)! In LEGO geometry, it' s often easier to do orbital stuff ( which means "round" stuff) than linear mechanisms.

The principle of the gearbox is simple : whith the same motor, you have to make the wheels turn at different speeds, by changing the gearing. You may wonder why not to choose the fastest at the beginning, and it' s because the car doesn't have enough torque(=strenght) to move : the faster you go, the weaker you go. The car is able to move at high speed if it' s already moving, thanks to the phenomenon of inertia.

There is not much other things to say about gearboxes ( at least lego ones, because a real car gearbox is much more complicated). Still, the difficulty is to make a stable speed-changing mechanism, because the gears have the tendancy to say goodbye to each other, and to make the wheels move, you must absolutely stick them together.

Even if it' s not very complicated, it' s always fun to play with gears, and the gearing is quite beautiful, it makes me think of a watch mechanism :).




Bobly yours.

2 comments:

XWLRP said...

Hi dear friend...

in live from metz I write this post...

I swore I was going to check out your blog frome times to times and I have one word... even if I still miss some "lego mindstorm vocabulary" and if I didn't understand properly how your're gearbox works on the too short video :op


However, have fun in Paris, I enjoy metz and the school no matter what you're thinking about it ;o)

See ya...

Brice

Jean said...

Salut!
Heureux de trouver un frenchy dans la communauté des mindstormers :D
Pour ma part, je vais avoir une boite NXT a Noel, donc pour le moment, je me renseigne un peu.
A tu de bonnes adresses avec des plans, programmes pour NXT?
A bientot, et continu ton blog!
++
Jean
jean.ast@gmail.com